Today we’re excited to announce the release of the largest upgrade to our Instagram iOS camera since it was revamped just over one year ago. The camera has been the core part of the Instagram experience since the day we launched and as a result, we’ve made significant improvements to its look and speed.
We’ve brought the look of Instagram’s camera up to parity with the rest of our application. You’ll notice the following changes:
- Instagram-themed shutter & shutter release button.
- A preview of the most recent photo on your camera roll.
- Improved Camera Roll image selector (iPhone 5 only) for quick access to your last photograph.
- Optional grid guide for live photos and a permanent grid guide for the scale & crop screen.
- Speed and reliability improvements.
New Filter: Willow
You’ve asked for more filters, and we’re excited to announce a brand new filter in both the latest iOS and Android releases! Willow is a monochrome filter with subtle purple tones and a translucent glowing white border. This filter works well on portraits, still life and architecture photographs with contrast.
In the past, there had been vast differences in the effective strength of the blur between the preview screen and the output in your feed and camera roll. With this update the blur you see is now the blur you’ll get! We’ve also completely overhauled the blur algorithm to increase quality and accuracy. Tilt-shift now gives a vastly more realistic rendering of depth of field because of these improvements and subtle tweaks to how we render the image.
- News Feed redesign that’s easier to digest, in addition to larger images.
- Beautiful new welcome screen design.
- Infinite scroll on user profiles and other grid views.
- Filtered photos are now saved to a separate album called “Instagram” in the iOS camera roll.
- Foursquare button on location pages that opens the Foursquare application, or mobile website, with details about the venue.
Get the App NOW!
Instagram for iOS version 3.2 is currently available for download in Apple’s App Store, and Instagram for Android version 3.3 is now available on Google Play. Be sure to view the iOS/device requirements in our Help Center.